Saturday, April 23, 2011

Ryan's Thoughts #7: Alone Time

Author's Note: In this piece I tried to write an anecdote which was slightly tough for me due to the fact that I detest them. The one thing I don't really about this piece is that I didn't bridge my topics together very well so it seems a bit rough.

For me, Spring Break is a time where I can isolate myself, and for once, relax and think about what I choose. When I was away from the persistant annoyance of socialization, whether it was when I sat on my family's condo's linai looking over our community's pool or when I was relaxing in my comfortable, beige rocking chair as I played PS3, was when I truly enjoyed the essence of Spring Break. We call it a break because it is a time to get away from our dry, daily routines and do as we choose.

Yet, my surroundings escalated the levels of isolation to an unexpected burden. When we are down at our Florida home, my family uses a portable WiFi source which provides an internet connection to all of the compatible devices in our home. Unfortunately, it has not always been the most trustworthy one. Time and time again we struggle with getting it to work properly for an extended period of time. It frustrates us like no other, because without the internet we have minimal contact to our relations back at home and have no access to the essential tools needed to complete some things such as work and homework.

My mother was in a frenzy for she was unable to access her e-mail, which is the headquarters and most important item of her work, my sister was able to attend to a large portion of the mountain of homework which she was assigned, and I myself was in a very similar situation as her. At this point, to be in such a state of solitude was not to our liking.

So we did what we could, but little progress was made. Looking back on the experience, nothing was gained by this, except for a renewed appreciation for the resources we obtain. I guess I could be happy about that new handy-dandy lesson, but instead I choose to dwell on the negatives, for the magnitude of them clearly outweighed the positive. I think it is, frankly, stupid for our everyday lives to depend on the internet so heavily when it can find itself unable to function so often. The internet is a useful tool, but we must be careful how much we rely on it, because if it fails a bottomless pit of frustration awaits us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment