Wednesday, December 2, 2009

LINGO

Author's Note: I can't say that one of my strengths is writing anecdotes, but I wrote this piece anyways to add some variety and really let my voice come through. This was a fun moment for me and it also has some, not much but some, intellectual level to it. Enjoy.

On December 1, during Language Arts class, Collin and I were engaged in a conversation of how we should make a word. We quickly decided that it should be a synonym for a synonym. Quite clever, eh? So, we started to think of names for our word. We first thought that we should have it start with an "x" or "z" just because those letters are uncommon but pretty nifty. Then somehow, I just pulled out the word "highlander" for no reason and I thought it was pretty good until Collin answered with:

"So our word is going to be a car?" I realized that, "highlander" definetly should not be the name. We kept on thinking for some sophisticated word that sounds shnazzy, so here it is:

hyterosis-noun-a word that has the same meaning as another word but is spelled differently-Synonyms: Synonym

12 comments:

  1. That's pretty clever. Though the word kind of sounds like a medical term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm... haven't thought of that. That pretty cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now it is. I dont know. If it is our meaning is better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait...I'm confused. First off- would a synonym and a synomyn = a positive which is a antynom or is that a double negative or are they the smae things? Cinco- What does it mean and is Shnazzy in the dictonary?

    ReplyDelete
  5. shnazzy is not in the dictionary it just means amazingly cool. And Derek I just looked on dictionary.com it is not a word so that is good, and allison it wasn't at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Cleverness abound. And the purple telletubby is your picture? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya totally Courtney. You know it is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A synonym for the word synonym. That's pretty awesome. :) Wish I'd thought of that..

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome! And it totally sounds like a real word! I'm gonna start saying that.

    ReplyDelete