Thursday, March 25, 2010

1984 Point of View from the "Dark Haired Girl"

Author's Note: This is a response to the book 1984 by George Orwell and I am writing from the point of view from the girl that Winston Smith (the main character) thinks is on the Thought Police (which is like the KGB) and is spying on him.

Today, I have just been assigned a mission to spy on a man by the name of Winston Smith. The Party has speculated him of Thought Crime and I have been told to find if he is as passionate about Big Brother's deeds as everyone should. At first, I wasn't to keen on the idea, but implanted in my brain is:

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

So of course, I will do whatever the Party says and follow it through until this demon is put away.

I uncovered my first clue to Winston's wrong doings at the Two Minute Hate. As usual, we were shouting at Goldstein's pitiful face. Then, I noticed that he had stopped chanting along with the rest of us, but the most striking thing was that Mr. Smith's face was not full of loathing, but of thought. Obviously, it was a clear sign of Thought Crime and I knew once I finished the Two Minutes Hate I would report to headquarters of this new occasion.

The next sign that I found that was troublesome with this obscure man was that he had take a random walk through the proles part of town. The proles! Why would one with such a great life given to him by Big Brother want to go to those that are clearly unclean and unfit to live in the realm of us Party members? Anyways, he happened to stop in this pub, which is another indicator that this man, that is becoming more dangerous as the seconds pass, is trying to find out an alternative truth than the Party has already informatively supplied the people of Oceania about what happened before the wonderful Revolution. I can't imagine how misguided this man must be.

I immediately walked back to headquarters and gave them this new information about Winston Smith and, as suspected, they vaguely answered my report in return. From what I got, I believe that Mr. Smith may be disappearing, as soon as tonight, and if he does disappear, then Winston Smith will officially have never existed.

1 comment:

  1. This is really good, you have a good voice for this type of writing and im sure it could easily fit into this book. You might want to make an authors note so readers can know what the book is about to help their understanding. but nice job!

    ReplyDelete