Monday, May 10, 2010

Ryan's Thoughts #5: Writer's Block

Author's Note: Honestly, I wrote this because I had Writer's Block and I had nothing else to write about. I'm guessing you can relate to this. Enjoy. Please also note that this is not one of my best pieces due to the fact that I had the infamous Writer's Block.

Writer's Block is something that all writers will come across. It is a well known problem and is very annoying. To not be able to think of an idea, or not be able to put the idea into words is very frustrating and stressful if there is a deadline. In fact, I have just had a serious case of Writer's Block so I just decided to write about my problem.

People have always tried to find ways to avoid this, but it seems like there is no solution. You sit there for minutes on end, even hours on end, just straining your mind for one brilliant thought that will enable you to write another piece, but that great idea never does come and all you have afterwards is a bunch of wasted time. This causes you to just give up and never come back to the piece.

The worst thing is when you have a deadline and you have Writer's Block. How are you supposed to come up with an idea and write it down before the due date if you can't even get an idea? Then, since you can't just not do the piece, you spend lots of time just wracking your brain for possible solutions to the terrible Block.

I myself have tried to find some solutions for this problem. People say that Writer's Block comes from having one very good piece which you get a large amount of praise for, and then trying to think of another one of that same caliber. It seems that nothing can compare to that one great piece but you feel like you must keep looking for it. So, if we try to figure something out to prevent this it would probably be to not set your standards so high. You may be able to say that to yourself, but on the inside you will continue to think that your new idea is not good enough. So, I have found that I am at a blank for curing this illness.

If you have any tips or ideas, please comment you solutions or thoughts on this post so you can help me and all of the others that read this. Thank you.

7 comments:

  1. Actually, even with writer's block, you managed to get off a good piece of writing. It's funny, writing about writer's block while you have it, but you have stumbled on what I think is one of the best cures: just write about what is currently on your mind, and don't over-think the whole process. Don't forget too, that we worked on several techniques in class, when we did our journals together, that were different exercises to rid the problem of Writer's block when it does occur. Overall, while you may feel this piece is one of your lessr quality pieces, it is quite good for its purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very good piece of writing that you produced even when you had writer's block. It almost helped you because you wrote this because of it. I like your voice and the way you showed the reader what it is, and why it stinks! good job ryan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it, in a way, funny. Your voice was really strong I think. I like how you referred to it as the terrible Block. You could tell you had writers block a little bit, (the name was Writers Block, was a hint) but it was still good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For having writer's block, it was very well voiced and you got right to the point -- how horrible it is to have writer's block. Just to get your mind out there like you did was excellent; good job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I loved how I was reading what you wrote on writer's block and that you wrote it while you were having writer's block. I think your voice is really strong too. I hate writer's block too, but it was cool that you actually turned that barrier into something. A gateway perhaps! Great piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that in a way you kind of cured writer's block by writing about it. I like how you described the situation because it is really something we can all relate to. As for any advice, I think just think about what you feel comfortable with talking or writing about, and go for it. Nice job Ryan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha nice one Ryan. This was a good piece even though you had "The Block". Your voice really shines through.

    ReplyDelete